November 5th 2021.
In this episode Saifedean talks to Jack Mallers, CEO of Strike, about how the Lightning Network is disrupting the global payments industry. Jack explains how international remittances work, why they are so costly and why the industry cannot compete with Lightning-based solutions. He and Saifedean then discuss how bitcoin is helping El Salvadorians transition from using cash to using bitcoin, whilst bypassing commercial banks. They also cover Jack’s role in helping to introduce Lightning tips to Twitter and Strike’s new “Pay Me in Bitcoin” application. In the Q&A, Jack takes questions on Strike’s expansion into Europe, who he would most like to “orange pill”, and which countries are likely to make bitcoin legal tender next.
- Jack’s Medium post Announcing the Strike API
- Jack’s Medium post Pay Me in Bitcoin
- Jack’s Medium post Announcing Strike Global
- Explainer on LNURL for Lightning Wallets
- Chivo Wallet, referenced by Jack
- Saifedean’s book The Bitcoin Standard
- Saifedean’s book The Fiat Standard
Enjoyed this episode? You can take part in podcast seminars, access Saifedean’s courses and read chapters of his forthcoming books by becoming a Saifedean.com member. Find out more here.